Saturday, July 23, 2005

Free Agents: please form an orderly queue...

Welp, John LeClair and Tony Amonte have been bought out of their contracts, kickstarting the Big Confusion. Aside from trying to resign Smyth and Brewer, the Oilers will be shopping for a centre (maybe two) and a puck-carrying defenceman, who will it be?

Unrestricted free agents

Forwards: Tony Amonte, John LeClair, Jason Allison, Jason Arnott, Andrew Brunette, Valeri Bure, Anson Carter, Pavol Demitra, Tie Domi, Martin Gelinas, Greg Johnson, Peter Forsberg, Ron Francis, Jan Hlavac, Paul Kariya, Alexei Kovalev, Martin Lapointe, Eric Lindros, Mark Messier, Mike Modano, Alex Mogilny, Glen Murray, Markus Naslund, Joe Nieuwendyk, Andrei Nikolishin, Ziggy Palffy, Gary Roberts, Luc Robitaille, Martin Rucinsky, Martin St. Louis, Miroslav Satan, Teemu Selanne, Martin Straka, Cory Stillman, Tim Taylor, Scott Young.

Defenseman: Adrian Aucoin, Chris Chelios, Adam Foote, Roman Hamrlik, Alexander Khavanov, Brian Leetch, Boris Mironov, Scott Neidermayer, Teppo Numminen, Sandis Ozolinsh, Brian Rafalski, Mike Rathje, Chris Pronger, Mathieu Schneider, Scott Stevens, Don Sweeney, Jason York, Alexei Zhitnik, Sergei Zubov.

Goaltenders: Roman Cechmanek, Byron Dafoe, Mike Dunham, Curtis Joseph, Nikolai Khabibulin, Chris Osgood, Garth Snow.

Could be bought out

Forwards: Vincent Damphousse, Dallas Drake, Sergei Fedorov, Bill Guerin, Bobby Holik, Jaromir Jagr, Darren McCarty, Owen Nolan, Keith Tkachuk, Pierre Turgeon, Doug Weight, Ray Whitney, Alexei Yashin, Alexei Zhamnov.

Defensemen: Eric Desjardins, Derian Hatcher, Darius Kasparaitis.

Goaltenders: Ed Belfour.


collin said...

I'm not sure if I'm not acclimatizing to the new NHL or not, but I can't think of a single player on that list who I'd give $5 million - except for St. Louis, Forsberg, Kariya, Neidermayer, who will all go maximum.
The rest will either be signed where they are at a discount or seem plain old used up, tired, over-valued, broken or sad.
If I have to pick: the Oilers will go after Sandis Ozolinsh, Garth Snow (now that we're in the "New" NHL let's drop the charade, Conklin's an AHLer) and, oh, let's say... Martin Lapointe or Dan McGillis. Quite the coup.
Then again, maybe I'm stuck in 2003 mode, but I'm wondering if the Oilers are stuck in 2003 as well.
Knowing Lowe, he might get Rem Murray back, just "to make him pay!"


Also, Don Cherry is an empty human being:
You speak truth, Don.
Fuckin' thumbs up!

Dave (Berry) said...

Man, how fucking wild would it be to see Jason Arnott back in an Oilers jersey? I seem to remember a lot of hate towards Arny, though I can't recall if it was deserved or not. Hell, actually, the Oilers could probably sign damn near every player they traded away for "money reasons" over the past five or seven years. Though we'd still probably suck, that would also be undeniably awesome.

That said, though technically money is no longer an issue, now we'll get to hear all sorts of other reasons why free agents don't want to come to Edmonton, such as the fact we're a dead town that's as far north as you're going to get in this league, with nothing to amuse NHLers but a gigantic mall and all the underage girls they can grab at Barry T's (or, uh, The Standard).

Yeah, but, anyway, I don't think the Oilers will go after Ozolinsh--fans here evidently think that anyone with the word "defence" in their positional descriptor should only play defence, or at the very least sacrifice loads of offensive potential for modest defensive returns. With that in mind, they'll probably get one of those "two-way"-type defencemen, like Rafalski or York.

I honestly don't think they'll go for a goalie, not yet anyway, but they will probably pick up a forward or two, like Lapointe, or maybe Satan or Stillman. They'll probably also chase Ray Whitney if he gets released--that one still stings like a father.

Oh, also, Naslund will probably get something approaching 5-mil as well. But that's just me.


Anonymous said...

This is the most boring blog posting I have ever seen in my life. Mike, I'm crazy about you, but I am not reading this blog again, unless hockey is suddenly cancelled and you can write about something else, like the noises the guy who lives next door to you makes.

mike w said...

>This is the most boring blog posting I have ever seen in my life

Ha ha, it's true. But this blog is my little nerd indulgence, like collecting stamps or Ghostbusters trading cards.

PS: I'm still unsure what the guy is doing to make those noises. "Grrnkt!" "Bloourraakkttr!"

Anonymous said...

I forgive you! See? I read your blog again. I like your jokes about the GM. Maybe I will learn something after all.