Edmonton 4 (2OT)
Egad. I can't take this, with rivers of testosterone flowing through my blood stream for five hours, hair falling out in clumps, and a wine glass rolling in a semi-circle on the floor.
With much regret, I was about to PhotoShop the ol' goat ears on Dwayne Roloson after it looked like Jason Williams had scored the sudden death winner from an impossible angle (they say art is therapeutic when dealing with trauma). Then, seeing Williams celebrate with some bewilderment, with a lip-read "I'm not sure how it went in," coupled with Roloson looking more confused than utterly crushed, the video review offered some hope. Seeing the puck nowhere near the red line has to be one the great moments of the season, single-handedly offering the Oilers a chance to change the storyline of the series, and more importantly, as MacT put it, forcing Manny Legace to "skate 100 feet back to his net" after dancing "a jig" on the redline.
The Oilers, at times badly outskated, finally lucked out with a broken play in front of Manny Legace, courtesy of a Samsonov wrap around attempt. Legace, looking as casual as a gardener tossing aside crabgrass, flipped the puck away on to Stoll's stick for the second overtime winner.
Some notes before hitting the hay:
- Detroit's player are no slouches, and once you take away Yzerman and Chelios the supposed age difference hasn't been much of a factor in the series. The Wings rolled out four lines like clockworkwhile the Oil's fourth line barely saw a handful of minutes in the last three periods. Torres and Staios looked gassed.
- Detroit kicked our asses on the big draws again, and unlike many other teams they know how to block shots. Notably, Yzerman left in the middle of third, holding his right hip. And damn, that Kronwall is a good defenceman (except on the last play of the game)!
- Playing with the lead wasn't so much a problem as dumb penalties. And memo to the NHL: I think fans would be more supportive of non-stop penalties if refs simply called more coincidental minors for diving, simple as that.
- Remember when Stoll and Horcoff were fourth line fringe players that nobody liked? Horcoff looked way more dangerous than Samsonov or Hemsky (plus 3) while Stoll had some of the best chances in the game.
- Chris Pronger? Give this man a raise. It's still early, but Pronger (2 G, 2 A, plus 3) is walking away with the real matchup of the series against Lidstrom (0 G, 1 A, minus 4).
- With Conkkanen but a distant memory, Roloson looks great, especially for a first round pick we would have muffed anyway
- Nice to see Rexall playoff hockey after 3 long years, with Oilers fans' chants of "Roli! Roli," "Mannnny" along with the consistent booing of Chris "dive artiste" Chelios everytime he touched the puck. Two steaks, two wins.
I'm too tired and dazed to finish. Goodnight, ladies and gentlemen!!!
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Edmonton 4 (2OT)
Posted by mike w at 12:12 AM