Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The big wait

I'm been a bit sick lately, and sluggish. I'm also trying to do another "Gone but Not Forgotten" comic strip, Playoffs Edition. Kind of weird to have an 8 day layoff, though. I'm less worried about the Oilers being rusty for Game 1 so much as I'm worried they'll let all of those glowing press clippings get to their head. Seems like the last two to three weeks has had more National Post and Globe and Mail stories than we've seen in three years combined. They even got a rare mention in the New York Times, a truely rare feat since they pretty much stopped caring about hockey after the lockout.

Oil squirts:

Doug Weight is "thrilled" by the Oilers recent success, but will he at least be nice enough to stop trying very hard if we have the lead in the series?

Ales Hemsky is getting a biopsy on some lymph nodes, which isn't serious. What I'm more curious about is those hideous Velociraptor claw mark scars on his neck. My best guess would have been from a hazing ritual in the compulsory Czech army, but he's probably too young for that.

Beard Alert! Mike Peca, brazenly, has shaved off his beard again. It worked before in the San Jose series: does he know something that we don't about playoff beard mojo?

Ah, that's it. I got nothing.

15 comments:

gary b said...

you didn't know about Hemmer's 'night club incident'?:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2005/09/19/1223596-sun.html


Sounds like Pardubice is a lot like freekin Whyte Avenue…

Anonymous said...

Dude, he got those in a bar fight in the Czech republic during the lockout, some guy apparently wasn't too thrilled with Ales and decided to bitch-slap him with a freshly cracked beer bottle....

mike w said...

Cool!

I mean stupid!

Thanks dudes.

Dan-O-Mite said...

And I thought it was a hickey!

Anonymous said...

Hickey, bar fight...it makes a good story in the end.

the Prez said...

A hickey? From a velociraptor?

Paul said...

I thought he'd just gone "Emo."

I wish my lawn would go Emo cause then it would cut itself.

James Mirtle said...

I think all this 'bar fight' nonsense is simply there to cover up the true Velociraptor origin of the marks.

Time to investigate.

Jes Gőlbez said...

The real story: It's a hickey from his underaged (15-16 y/o) lover.

Jes Gőlbez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Krista said...

My theory is that Peca's five o'clock shadow is more like a noon o'clock shadow. If he hadn't shaved throughout the playoffs he'd be running the risk of getting his beard caught in his skates.

moreblood4oil said...

I like krista's theory. But, I also wonder if it's just a matter of chemo treatments. Buddy looks like the undead. Or maybe Tom Hanks in _Philadelphia_:

http://www.mirosatan.sk/Satan_sk/sabres/peca.jpg

Yup. Cancer-zombie-AIDS humour! Always a class act, I am. Speaking of which, after seeing some "Show Some Titties for Smythy"-type signs on Whyte last Sat. I'm working on some "Show Your Cock for Laraque!" signage. {Note to self: Must remember my kevlar vest}

---HockeyDude--- said...

Whyte Ave slogan:
Girls raise youre shirts high-
wear your jeans "Lowe" !

the Prez said...

You may also use "Show your cock for J.F. Jacques." It's better that way. For no reason at all.

Anonymous said...

Ales Hemsky is a very mysterious. We barely hear him doing interviews, and he rarely gets any media converage.
He could be a ninja for all we know. All i know is that he is talented