MacT on Roloson's injury status:
"From what I'm told, it's very similar to what Dvorak had."
Of course, that means our worst nightmare: our rock and roll goaltender is out for the series. Good god. Nails bitten to the quick. WHAT DO WE DO!?
Clearly, Ty Conklin can't play as a starter ever again. The loser is lovable for his Ziggy-like ways, but playing this guy and his .880 AHLesque SVP isn't exactly fair, and hockey is famous for its cruelty (just ask Sabre fans).
On the plus side, my testicles have fully ascended back into my stomach cavity, transforming me into a castrato with a pitch perfect mezzo-soprano singing voice that makes doves explode into a cloud of feathers. The pain is real, and why not revel in it? There's a tender macho-ness in playoff pain, not unlike the single-tear feeling that comes from bench pressing 160 lbs. So fuck it.
But Oilers fans, worry not, I have a few reasons to be optimistic:
- Number one, and above all, I have not seen so many Oilers 2 on 1s in a game in this playoffs, let alone a series. Carolina doesn't exactly play defence, especially their forwards (hello Whitney, you dumb fuck? Eric Staal?), and it was nice to see Smyth, Moreau etc blow by Ward and Commodore so cleanly
- The Oilers got off their game once they got the lead, something they've done in the past, although this time it was a matter of some bad pinches and an unwillingness to slow the game down (unlike with Anaheim, where the Oilers were helplessly hanging on by their teeth for minutes at a stretch)
- Cam Ward played great, but he was still .890 on the game and also gave up enormous rebounds, something that Markkanen also does well, so I'm still hopeful that our defence will be the edge (Cam Ward is still a Conklin-esque .882 regular season goalie that's been pulled two times this post-season)
- We have Pronger, and Pisani came back at least
- The Oilers are no strangers to comebacks
Of course it still hurts like a bitch to let in 4 third period goals. Suddenly, like a rubber-ball-in-mouthed masochist, I can't wait until Wednesday to see what happens next.
Tell-tale post game quote: Pronger saying that he had full confidence in his goalies, but Markkanen was the first goalie that came off his lips. He will start Wednesday night, obviously.
Monday, June 5, 2006
Posted by mike w at 9:13 PM