Friday, August 4, 2006

Journey to the centre of Chris!

Alright, I've been tagged by a certain Mr. Lowetide. I'll do my best to answer these questions, and sub in some bonus information where the questions don't apply. Interesting? Marginally. But it's August. THERE'S NOTHING ELSE.

1. Have you ever been in a fantasy league? Yep, all hockey. Started out with playoff pools at work back when I was a waiter (at the Old Spaghetti Factory in downtown Edmonton, where I was employed for an incredible seven years before and during my time at the University of Alberta) which I never won due to a brainless devotion to the Oilers. More recently, I've graduated to Yahoo fantasy hockey pools organized by old Gateway newspaper friends. I came in second my first year (when Yahoo autodrafted for me, though I did strengthen with a few shrewd free agent pickups and decent trades), and sixth out of 17 this year, mostly because of a typical desire to prove the depth of my prescience by taking a risky flyer (Mario Lemieux) with my first pick instead of one from the wealth of safe options available (Forsberg, Naslund, Lecavalier).

Best trade ever in a fantasy pool: acquiring Brian Leetch for Pierre Turgeon straight up in 2003-04 from Dan-o-mite. Worst trade ever: The same year, flipping Peter Bondra to a certain Ms. Loxam for Adam fucking Oates.

2. What was the first jersey you ever owned? Though I played a lot of sports when I was younger — baseball, basketball, and especially hockey — there wasn't a whole lot of hero worship or team allegiance going on. Though I recall my dad, being French, was an occasional Canadiens and/or Nordiques fan, I never really got into it enough to ever own a jersey as a kid. So really, the first jersey I've ever owned was one of the vintage Oilers variety, given to me in 1997 as a gift by a friend I made in Banff. Seeing as he was from Wolfville, NS, he figured I could use more than him. He had also taken the time to write "Drunkard" in marker where the name-patch should be, as well as a captain's C on the front, to indicate my place within the hierarchy of drunkards. I've still got it hanging in my closet.

3. Top 5 sports books To be honest, I've never much gotten into sports books, for seemingly no reason at all. Books like The Game and Moneyball seem like they would interest me greatly, and yet I always forget about them when I'm at the bookstore. Actually, the only sports book I think I've read was Ed Welles' history of the WHA, Rebel League, which Mike bought me this past Christmas. If you haven't read it, I recommend it.

Anyhow, right now I'm reading Katharine Graham's autobiography Personal History, but here are the last five books I've read prior to that, in order from most recent:

A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson
Saturday, Ian McEwan
The Razor's Edge, Somerset Maugham
Welcome to the Monkey House, Kurt Vonnegut
Killing Yourself to Live, Chuck Klosterman

4. 10 favorite athletes
all-time Let's say five, because even that's a stretch. I don't have any particular reason for liking these guys; they're just the names that, for some reason or another, I recall having developed a strong affinity towards during my younger, card-collecting days:

Nolan Ryan
George Brett
Mike Bossy
Kevin Lowe
Bobby Jurasin (played for Saskatchewan Roughriders in late '80s when I lived in Regina. I have no idea if he was any good at all, or why I remember his name after all these years. And yet, here we are. Go Bobby Jurasin!)

5. Three Athletes I secretly admire but am ashamed to admit it for fear of ridicule Not applicable. However, I am spending a Friday night after work drinking a glass of scotch and flipping between What Not to Wear and Chef Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares right now, so by all means, ridicule that.

6. The 5 people I tag are: Is there anyone left? If they haven't been called out already, I nominate Tyler, Pat, D. Lee, ardent commenter Steve, and, in the unlikely event that he reads us, The Razor.

Whew! There were some other questions, but dammit, I'm tired. And I have to get back to watching some frumpy Midwestern chick buy incredibly ugly shoes. RED DOESN'T FLATTER YOU, LADY! YOU'RE AN AUTUMN!!

7 comments:

Randy in the Med Hizzo said...

Welcome to the Monkeyhouse is a collection of short stories and is that the same Katherine Graham Autobiography that I threw out the window of my rented mini-van as a fled Edmonton?
Don't laugh... Pleasure Motors has my couch.

Loxy said...

Was it Bondra I got for Oates? For some reason I thought it was a Detroit player.

Still, I remember exactly where I was when I pulled that trade - the smaller computer lab in Rutherford Library.

Yes, I remember the moment that my life started going downhill.

Brushback said...

What a gyp. I was tagging Razor at the same time you were!

lowetide said...

Bobby Jurasin was an outstanding player.

mike w said...

It may be just me, but there has to be about 1639 episodes of "What Not to Wear" since they play it all day and all night, all week.

Lessons learned: 1) A-line skirt for chicks with hips 2) Good wingtips will never go out of style 3) pointy shoes make legs look longer.

Um, when is hockey back on?

lowetide said...

Hmmm. Perhaps Grabia can photoshop those tips onto that Schremp photo?

Doogie2K said...

The Rebel League is, in fact, awesome. That book made me love the WHA for more than the Oilers. That league was some crazy shit.