Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A BoA/CinO joint

Well, I secretely hoped this day would never come, because there's no way anyone is going to listen to my opinion of defencemen when they watch me get five-holed on three consecutive breaks and whiff on breakout passes. But, to hell with my pride/standing in the community: it's street hockey time!

The inaugural Battle of the Oilogosphere street hockey game is set to go for this Saturday. Now, we're not exactly sure where, nor what time (it will be roughly in the University/Whyte Ave area, and probably early afternoon, 1-2pm), but I can guarantee it will be at least eight times as fun as watching Ales Hemsky make Detroit Red Wings look like stickless knob hockey players.

If you're interested, please e-mail myself and Mr Andy Grabia of BoA (if those tags don't work, my e-mail is at the bottom, Andy's is on his site; oh, and if you've e-mailed me already, I'll get back to you) expressing said interest. If you have street hockey accrouments that you're willing to bring, such as goalie equipment (even if you don't want to play goal), nets, or extra sticks/pucks/balls and the like, please let us know, so we can be fully prepared when the time comes. Oh, and please specify your preferred puck/ball object. If we have goalie pads, I see no reason why we can't use the orange bastards, but everyone has a preference, and it's good to have extra. Aside from that, all you need is a stick, probably some gloves, and I guess a very basic working knowledge of how hockey is played. (Check out Grabia's post on the matter if there are any other questions, or just e-mail one of us.)

I'm also going to take this opportunity to discourage any younger readers we may have (what? there might be some of them) to perhaps organize a game with your friends instead, because I guarantee there will be big-people things going on, such as swearing, drinking, and enough homoerotic tension to butter your scones with.

But anyway, enough of that: e-mail! Come! Street hockey, Edmonton-style! GOILERS!

14 comments:

Andy Grabia said...

I can't wait to see Colby Cechmanek in net.

Pleasure Motors said...

I don't know, Andy, Cosh has been training pretty hard for this.

Andy Grabia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andy Grabia said...

Ah, dedicated goalie. Been a while.

I know that can't be Cosh. That cat didn't have a gay f**ing sweater on.

Beck said...

No more lurking for me, count me in!

Sending emails...

sacamano said...

Isn't there a tennis court that gets converted into a hockey court over behind the Yardbird in Old Strathcona?

I can never remember if that is the case, or if I just always thought that it should be the case.

Or are you looking for full-out traditional street hockey: "CAAAARRRR"

mike w said...

By the way, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a decent venue in downtown Toronto.

Dare said...

Downtown Toronto? Not so good for street hockey.

Unless you want to do it up, Labbatt Blue commercial styles.

"STREETCAR!"

Jameso said...

Mike- public tennis courts are decent, but you can usually use the park skating rinks- the lights stay on till 11:30 most nights. But yeah, hockey on actual streets isn't really feasible.

Loxy said...

Can we have another one over Christmas when us boomerang children return to the nest?

teebeeplayer said...

yeah, there is a dedicated outdoor street hockey rink near the yardbird. it has nets. and fences. no digging for stray balls (er, homoerotic, anyone?) under cars. dave, i wanna play. emailing .............. now.

Pleasure Motors said...

Can we have another one over Christmas when us boomerang children return to the nest?

Oh, necessarily.

+tim said...

Can we burn a Pronger effigy in lieu of the national anthem?

Anonymous said...

yeah, a christmas game for those of us who are away