John Davidson's St. Louis Blues 2
Ah, that's more like it. St. Louis was all gussied up, just laying there in the boudoir, ready for the taking, and the Oilers were all man tonight. As a sports editor I worked with once said: "You don't go to a whorehouse with half a boner." [I fully apologize for the previous two sentences]
Part of the fun of such a virile, 3-goal opening period is that an Oilers fan can dispense with the usual teeth gnashing, sit back, and relax for once. I can't remember the last time the victory after-glow came so free and easy. Stretching the tortured sex metaphor further, I'm sure Fernando Pisani and Marc-Andre Bergeron will be the first to attest to the confidence-building powers of having scored.
- Poor Raffi Torres, continues to suck, with or without the puck. He got clobbered late in the game, with the mic picking up a "fucking cunt!" as he slammed the bench door. The most neurotic hockey player in the NHL? Not quite, which leads me to...
- Manny Legace's Suicide Watch. It was worrisome seeing him shake his head on the bench after getting pulled halfway through the game. This is the goalie famous for the "wanting to hang myself" in Detroit's fast exit from last year's playoffs. The season's young yet, Manny! Don't kill yourself. Seriously.
- How about that big fucking baby Keith Tkachuk (I'm so magnanimous in victory). The big sour pus spent most of the game punching Ales Hemsky in the head and literally taking puck off of teammate's sticks.
- Brad Winchester Report: as I've mentioned, I picked up this dude in my pool, thereby cursing him to never score again. Tonight he muffed on a clear breakaway, of course.
- Is Matt Greene good yet? On one play he looks decent, and then on another he lets out a perfect pass to Keith Tkachuk, right on the tape.
- I seriously have a Marc-Andre Bergeron jersey, which made me tha lamest Edmonton fan ever until tonight. Aside from 1 or 2 ghastly turnovers, this is the Bergie I remember: crisp passes and a big, lethal shot that can get some easy points.
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Posted by mike w at 9:17 PM