Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Season that Keeps Hurting

Vancouver 5
Edmonton 3

Ah yes, the familiar mental math: "...the Oilers can still tie the game if they score every three minutes."

I feel like I've watched about 150 periods of bad, almost-always-playing-from-behind hockey this season. Tonight's matchup against the 'Nucks was a spirited game -- but at no point did I ever feel like the Oilers were ever going to win. So many emblematic moments: Toby Peterson on the 0-7 PP; Joffrey Lupul looking worse than I've ever seen him (he now simply
hurts the team when he's on the ice), oh, and Marc-Andre Bergeron falling flat on his face as Naslund scored the game winner.

I'm hearing too much of names like Stortini, Petersen, Roy, Smid, Jacques and not nearly enough Sykora, Lupul, and Horcoff. Unfortunately, the sober reality is that a lot of AHL call-ups is the marker of a bad team, although I'm still willing to believe that injuries and an unbalanced attack are to blame. But time is running out. If you ask me: I'd ship Torres or Lupul in a heartbeat to get Joni Pitkanen -- and I say it, over again, like it's Dec. 1. What's the hold up, Kevin Lowe?

PS: The Bertuzzi/Luongo trade may have to be the most lopsided trade ever, with Joe Thornton for Sturm and Stuart a close second. Any other horrendous Eastern Conference deals up for grabs, jerks?

How about Sidney Crosby for Joffrey Lupul, Steve Staios and a bag of Doritos?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What flavor of Doritos?

mike w said...

Fiery Habanero.

The shit seals the deal!

cynical joe said...

Don't feel bad, the pain will be over soon, and then you can plan the going away party for Smytty.

gary b said...

i kinda wish MacT would have 'rode the hot guy' and started Jussi tonight as well - that Naslund goal was STINK-Y.

Chris! said...

That Cynical Joe — he's so in your face!

Jordi said...

Um, I tagged you guys. Maybe if you guys were on the Oilers roster - we would've won this.

nathan said...

Yeah I agree....going with Jussi
again would have been my choice as well. Scare Roli a bit...

Andy Grabia said...

The Bertuzzi/Luongo trade may have to be the most lopsided trade ever, with Joe Thornton for Sturm and Stuart a close second

The Canucks got fleeced on the Neely deal, so I'm willing to let the Luongo deal slide, but WTF? The Oilers got Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, Corey Foster, Martin Rucinsky and Nick Stajduhar for Marty McSorley, Mike Krushelnyski, and this guy named WAYNE FUCKING GRETZKY.

Fuck me I'm mad today.

Doogie said...

Whenever someone mentions Nick Stajduhar, I think of Raj Binder. Why is that?

pete said...

Tom Kurvers for the pick that ended up being Scott Niedermayer?

JESUS!

Oiler Joe said...

Tom Kurvers for the pick that ended up being Scott Niedermayer?

Tough to predict things with draft picks. The outcome of the Bertuzzi/Luongo trade was very predictable.