Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Another go 'round/Taking to the streets

I went a pretty staggering 6-1 in calling first-round playoff series (6-2 if you count the fact I called boredom in the NJ-Tampa series; turns out I should have called that for Dallas-Vancouver), so I thought I'd see if I can continue this amazing streak of series-calling throughout the playoffs.Well, hell, I have to do something to keep interested in the playoffs, seeing as how I don't have the Flames to kick around anymore. (Some people on this blog have expressed similar levels of hatred for the Canucks, but I honestly don't care enough about the Canucks to hate them; what's Tyler's quote? "Calgary Sucks, Vancouver doesn't matter." Yeah.)

Anyway: playoffs! (?)

East

(1) Buffalo vs. (6) New York

I'm really not sure if New York embarrassed Atlanta because the Rangers were really good or because Atlanta was really bad, but I'm going to assume it's at least a little bit of both. I still think Buffalo, despite the fact they won the President's Trophy, has some kind-of exploitable weaknesses, though the Rangers' own weaknesses probably mirror them (mostly, both teams are sort of soft, but maybe that means Sean Avery is an even bigger difference this series than last); the Rangers also probably have the better top-end talent, but Buffalo is pretty much the best all-around team in the league, and if they can keep even with Jagr's line, they're third and fourth will probably outperform New York's (good luck keeping up with Jagr). Lundqvist has spent most of the past two months being mostly unbeatable (it is a bit odd he only played Buffalo once this season, too) whereas I still think Miller is just an average goalie behind a very good team, which probably bodes well for New York, considering these games are probably going to be firing squads. You know what, fuck it: upset time, and Sean Avery starts building a name for himself as a primo playoff performer. RANGERS IN 7

(2) New Jersey vs. (4) Ottawa

I really hate New Jersey, and like a few others have mentioned, I'm really starting to hate Martin Brodeur now, too, for being so goddamn good for like 20 years. I couldn't pick that stupid team even if I actually thought they were going to win. I hope injuries abound for the Devils. SENS IN 6

West

(1) Detroit vs (5) San Jose

One assumes the Sharks will keep it a little more interesting than the Flames, though Calgary's sheer suckitude makes it a bit hard to tell if Detroit is really as good as they seemed. If they are, San Jose will probably need to play a grainy, night-vision video of Chris Chelios' kids sleeping on the big screen to take the series, or at least a few key injuries. I don't think the Wings are THAT good, though, and as mentioned before, I think the Sharks are a bit better than their standings indicate. As well, like in the Rangers-Sabres series, their teams actually match up fairly well in terms of where their strengths and weaknesses are, so this will probably be a fairly even series. As much as I hate to say it, though, going against the Wings after a series where they completely owned their opponents for all of their wins and maybe one of their losses seems a bit foolish, even if San Jose was quite strong against an obviously better opponent. Could probably go either way, but I'll take WINGS IN 6

(2) Anaheim vs (3) Vancouver

Hmmmm...the team who got most of their scoring from a 37-year-old near-retiree who couldn't even lead them to a Cup when he was in his prime versus the team that thumped their last opponents, a team who are superior to their current ones in every way except goaltending, while chiefly playing their back-up goalie. I wonder who could possibly win this series? Luongo might steal one, but that's only if Vancouver can even manage some shots on the Ducks. (PS Chris Pronger has 6 points towards his shiv-in-the-gut, rat-bastard Conn Smythe campaign.) DUCKS IN 5

ALSO: ROAD HOCKEY!

It's still not too late to let Jeremy or myself know if you're down for some hockey this Sunday. Details below. SUPER HOCKEY FUN!!

What: HOCKEY!!!! (Road/Street)
Where: Hockey courts behind the Yardbird Suite (About 103st & 85 ave)
When: 1pm on Sunday, April 29
RSVP to coveredinpleasure (at) gmail dot com or jfranchuk (at) gmail dot com

18 comments:

Oiler Joe said...

Rangers in 6

Sens in 7

SJ in 6

ANA in 6

Anonymous said...

You suck :) Of course the Nucks dont matter to you. We feel the same way about the province of Alberta. You are there, but does anyone really care about your Flames or Oilers? The Nucks might lose, but its still better than what your teams accomplished this year. And since the Oilers never made it, and the Flamers sucked out loud, alas there is no bandwagon to jump on. So hence the bitterness. Go and play your street hockey, and stay away from my NHL :)

Chris said...

Actually if there is a bandwagon it would probably be for Ottawa given that they actually have a hope in hell of winning the Stanely cup, Vancouver - not so much. Vancouver is a one line team whose one line isn't playing well with a stellar goalie. That's only going to go so far.

mike w said...

Of course the Nucks dont matter to you.

Indeed, one of the most overrated cities in the world, full of humourless, Mountain Equipment Co-Op hippies that spend their days either blathering in perma-drizzle or shooting up heroin on the SkyTrain.

but does anyone really care about your Flames or Oilers?

Why would we care about other people liking us, let alone people from BC?

alas there is no bandwagon to jump on.

You haven't been reading this blog very carefully, have you?

The Sedin twins blow donkey dink.

Anonymous said...

Zing! and Zing! Pleasure Motors, care to take your turn at a venom filled rebutle.

Anonymous said...

A brave hockey fan takin on Oilers scum. Hilarious, I love the 2o year old banner of an oilers championship. Its all that you have goin for you isnt it. A past that was great, cause the futures lookin bleak. Vancouver is a fine city with a solid team. They have what it takes, and if the oilers could come so close with there crappy team with an old over-rated goalie, well then. Vancouver should have an easy time of it... Enjoy the cowshit boys, Edmonton is the city of rednecks and idiots who dont know any better!!! Move somewhere, please. Its embarrasing to the NHL and its credibility to have a franchise there... Theres some meat to chew on...

Katie O'D said...

Nice picks. I took the Sharks but I can't go against you taking the Wings. Like you said it could go either way. That and the Rangers/Sabres series will be amazing, just like how the other two series (especially Ducks/Canucks) most likely won't be close. I definitely hate the Canucks, but only because I'm an Avs fan. You're getting a lot of reasons to jump on the "hate the Canucks" bandwagon, though.

mike w said...

Hilarious, I love the 2o year old banner of an oilers championship.

It's called irony, you dolt.

Also: learn how to spell.

Darien said...

I'm still going to say go Canucks for nostalgic and personal reasons, regardless of whether they actually have a snowball's chance in hell or if they can pull some magic out. If nothing else, theyre a canadian team with a dumb alternate jersey. They should also change their name. Habs and Canucks?

court said...

This is going to be the most boring post-season ever, isn't it?

sigh...

Oiler Joe said...

What's with all the anon posters? I used to get myself worked up over what they would say, but then I came to the conclusion that it was just someone trying to be funny. No one could actually agree with what they are saying. I don't quite get the joke though. And why not take credit for your genius? Hmm, I guess I'm not "with it" so I'll never understand.

Zing! and Zing! Pleasure Motors, care to take your turn at a venom filled rebutle.

What exactly is the statement you're trying to make here? It kind of looks like a question but there is clearly a period there. That must be some more of that subtle humour.

Punctuation is not obsolete yet, I suggest you use it properly. It will at least give your comments a mask of intelligence.

They (Canucks) have what it takes, and if the oilers could come so close with there crappy team with an old over-rated goalie, well then.

Well then. There's no doubt that Luongo can play as good/better than Rolli did last year. No doubt. But Rolli wasn't the Oilers problem, was he? Your team has average scoring ability at the best of times, I don't care how many shots your goalie can save, if you can't score, you won't win. Ask Calgary. Your team couldn't score goals against Dallas, so it stands to reason that they should have a more difficult time scoring goals against the Ducks. A much more difficult time. So, any REASONABLE human being would predict a Canucks slaughter, thus I don't quite understand what all the fuss is about. Seems PM made a fair prediction.


Vancouver should have an easy time of it... Enjoy the cowshit boys, Edmonton is the city of rednecks and idiots who dont know any better!!! Move somewhere, please.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, most of the contributors and readers don't live in Edmonton. Since we've already held up our end of the bargain, may I make a bold demand: shut up, please.

LittleFury said...

I'm not 100% on the correct terminology, but I believe that Game One result qualifies as a "reaming."

Chris! said...

Yep, Canucks blow, fans are morons, all well established.

Meanwhile, it's the second round of the playoffs: what's with all the empty seats i n the Jersey game?

Stan the Caddy said...

I heard something about Devils' fans being upset that the team is moving to Newark. Who wants to watch playoff hockey, anyways?

Darien said...

I heard NJDs were moving to moosejaw, but that's just me.

Phat Lemur said...

"Hilarious, I love the 2o year old banner of an oilers championship. Its all that you have goin for you isnt it."


Good call! Maybe you should post a pic of one of Vancouver's more recent cup victories.

DBarclay said...

I live in Vancouver, although I am not a Canucks fan. The Canucks this year remind me of the 93 Habs. A mediocre team with a fantastic goalie. Unfortunately for the Canucks they are facing a real contender in round 2 instead of getting lucky draws. Would the Habs have won in 93 if the Islanders hadn't upset the Penguins? I don't think so.

The "band wagon jumpers" in this town are astoundingly annoying. I think 90% of the fanbase are strictly of the fair weather variety. The sheer number of little team flags that appeared on cars during the first round of the playoffs was hilarious.

Typical Canucks fans react to a playoff loss. The hippie element is the only thing that keeps this city tolerable. I'm gonna go have some humous.

Julian said...

i didn't notice before, but Cup on that pennant appears to be the one they used in the 1930's or 40's, taller and more slender than today.