Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Choking hazard

Living in Toronto, I continue to be amused by the desperate contortions Leafs fans are willing to twist themselves into over the Senators' run for the Cup. Apparently, the fact that Ottawa has gone down three games to one in the Stanley Cup Final is proof of the hoary old Toronto chestnut that the Sens are "chokers."

Yeah. Never mind the skill, depth and determination it took for Ottawa to get to the Finals in the first place. Or that they only lost three games in the first three rounds. Or that Leafs management could only dream of assembling a team with a quarter of the talent that takes to the ice every night for Ottawa. Nope. The Senators are losing to the Western Conference's best team? What a bunch of choke artists.

I don't know if there are any Leafs fans old enough to remember what an incredibly taxing grind it is to advance as far as the Senators have, or if there are any Leafs fans young enough to still be alive when Toronto does it again, but take it from us Oilers fans. It's kind of a hard thing to do. I mean, sure, I realize that the choker label is the only thing most Leafers have as consolation for the fact that their team management has shown again and again that I isn't interested in actually improving the club so much as it is building condos, but still. It's kind of pathetic, don't you think?

And speaking of pathetic, I'm afraid I might cry in public if the Ducks and CFP win the Cup tonight. So come on, Ottawa. Spare me this indignity for just a couple more nights. At least if you lose on a Saturday, I can just run down to College Street and blend right in with all the drunken frat girls splayed out on the curb sobbing their guts out because "Braydon" and/or "Cole" won't talk to them.

16 comments:

Stan the Caddy said...

I've enjoyed, for the past two weeks, pointing out to Leafs' fans that the Sens where able to do what the Leafs have never, ever, in the history of hockey, been able to do: win three rounds of playoff hockey. They forget that to win the Cup nowadays, you have to be better than 29 other teams, not 5. But I guess the Sens still suck and the Leafs are the greatest franchise in sports history.

I also like to point out that the series is not over yet (although I have a strong feeling I'll be eating those words sometime soon, but hey you never know).

Black Dog said...

Did someone say "drunken frat girls splayed out"?

Whoo hoo!

Great post chris!!!

Mattstro Disastro said...

As a Leafs fan, I'll admit that Ottawa has a helluva team this year and deserves to be where they are, especially after such an abysmal start to the season.

If the Ducks can them in five, though, I'll be quite glad that I won't have to deal with obnoxious Sens fans coming to gloat on my front yard. They can be just as asshatical as we can.

I liked the Ducks five years ago, and I still like 'em now. "Canada's team" nonsense be damned. Last time I checked, TEAM CANADA was Canada's team.

PPP said...

So I guess Oilers' fans hate Pronger because they only wish that their management could assemble a defensive corps with a quarter of his skill?

Leaf fans do it to antagonize the asshat sens fans that chant "Leafs Suck" at game four on Monday.

Go Ducks!

Chris! don't cry. At least you won't have to hear from sens fans all the time about how the Oilers haven't won the cup since 1990. That kind of stuff can get old real fast.

Anonymous said...

Er, Oilers management did assemble a defensive corps with a quarter of Pronger's skill. In fact, they assembled a defensive corps with 100% of Pronger's skill, seeing as how they, you know, actually had Pronger on the team.

In fact, one could argue we had a better Pronger than Anaheim, since their Pronger has played so dirty as to have two suspensions (seriously hurting his team), and has had as many penalty minutes in 18 games as Edmonton's Pronger got in 24. (He also had 21 points in 24 games, which is better production than the 14 points in 18 games).

Leafs and Sens both suck, and the best possible result at this point is Pronger is given a lifetime ban from the NHL for the pre-game murder of Mike Comrie, and his name kept off the cup his team later wins.

Chris! said...

Man, it's like anonymous lives inside my head.

Pat: Just giving the people what they want.

Steve said...

You know, I stand by my Go Ducks sentiments (review: Pronger doesn't quite cancel out Comrie, and Anaheim has Marchant), but it would be nice to make Leafs fans sad. But it would also be nice to make Sens fans sad. So conflicted!

Anonymous said...

Chris Pronger is going to win the Stanley Cup without playing in 40% of the games!

P.S. The Islanders are giving Yashin the boot to make room for Jason Blake...
...
...
...and Ryan Smyth.

Anonymous said...

I have been so busy with work this month that I haven't been able to watch any of this series.....But of course I'm free tonight, which means that the Ducks will win it on the one game that I am free to watch, because life hates me

Julian said...

i may not be able to watch the cup presentation in a couple of hours. usually i love seeing players with the cup after they win, but i can't handle seeing Pronger with it right now.

D. said...

Do do do do doooo....What's that, you say? There is a game on tonight?

I thought Brindy raising the cup (with ugly mug) was bad. Pronger will be worse. I'm not watching.

Chris! said...

I can't believe the Sens are playing Gerber. I mean, why bother?

Chris! said...

Oops. I misheard. Never mind.

5-2. Sounds like a good time to turn off the TV.

D. said...

Pronger can kiss my arse.

jesse r said...

Man, that was hard to watch. Hopefully American Inventor gets better as it goes.

Anonymous said...

So yeah... it's all over...