Sunday, December 30, 2007

How about that West Edmonton Mall, eh?


You know, when you fly home 1600 miles, you kind of hope for the Oilers games to be on TV. As such, my crew arrived at Pub 1905 on Jasper Avenue with nothing to watch except for the Maple Leafs on the big screen (sans sound, mercifully), which reduced us to actually talking to each other, for Chrissakes. Plus, the Oilers apparently blew a 3-goal lead and lost in overtime. And Pisani is out. And Pitkanen is apparently dead.

Like everyone else, I've been too busy eating shortbread and catching up with old pals (along with running into every ex-girlfriend I've ever had in Edmonton) to really want to sit down in my parent's basement and whip off posts everyday. I have a sheaf of Fenwickian and Corsian numbers to leaf through, and I've been watching all of the games, naturally, so I'll probably get back into my regular groove when I get back home of not posting every two or three days instead of not posting every five days. Oddly, I'm a better Oilers fan when I'm in Toronto.

In the meantime, I'm getting my fill of Edmonton. The Empress is a nice, new place to get a pint and slobber on women, especially for a city in dire need of more than three bars where there isn't a DJ yelling out highball specials on the dance floor. The $500 million extension of Anthony Henday drive shaved 5 minutes off of my drive from the airport, although it now costs $30 bucks to take a cab from downtown to Sherwood Park, which pulls me up just short of another rant about LRT expansion and "revitalizing" the downtown core. The huge Millenium Place gym next to my parent's house had a surprisngly large number of army dudes loudly talking about snipers and IEDs, which is a far cry from the clientele of toy dog-carrying, well-to-do moms that frequent my gym in downtown Toronto. What else? There's nothing like coming home to a good game of ice-cold road hockey, even at the risk of peeling off my groin muscles like orange peels running around in the powdery, tractless snow that has been dumped on the city in the last few days. But yes: good times, good times.

Fun Fact: Ryan Smyth has 28 points in 35 games.

19 comments:

Daniel K said...

When was the last time a game wasn't even on the Oilers PPV?

At least there was a good football game on.

Jamie said...

There are houses by Millenium Place? There is a completed Anthony Henday expansion?
You must speak madness, young man!
Back in my day, ShPk ended at the Happy Mart... the Airport was half way to Red Deer... an downtown was just a transfer in order to get to West Ed.
Oh, and the Oilers had star players like Jaroslav Pouzar.
It is a right of passage into adulthood to be able to complain using "back in my day".

MikeP said...

Being Centre Ice-enabled, I watched the game.

You pretty much nailed it, aside from the fact the Wild utterly dominated them in the third period, and the Minny announcers are homers of Cole-Nealeian proportions. Demitra hammers Pitkanen into the boards headfirst? "I think when the Oilers see the replay of that, they'll see it wasn't as dangerous as it might have looked from on the ice." They were actually wondering why Demitra got a penalty on the play.

Doogie said...

It is a right of passage into adulthood to be able to complain using "back in my day".

I went off on a five-minute rant just the other night about graphing calculators and the new Alberta math curriculum. It was grand.

I'm sort of taking Saturday's game as my cue to check out for the season. Is this okay?

grease trap said...

Sure. Pussy.


But who am I to talk? I haven't updaqted my site in like, 10 years.

Tyler said...

...the Minny announcers are homers of Cole-Nealeian proportions.

My favourite bit of work from them was when they were looking at Cogliano's goal, determined that it was kicked in and mispronounced both Cogliano and Moreau's names. Top fucking notch, lads!

Colby Cosh said...

IS there another way to pronounce "Moreau"?

Eyeris said...

Did they rhyme it with "oreo"?

grease trap said...

Muh-roo?

Tyler said...

They were somehow hitting the first syllable hard, pronouncing the "O" like you do when you're doing the alphabet. They were doing the same with Cogliano.

MikeP said...

Yeah, their pronunciation was weird. I'm not sure that I could reproduce it now.

They actually weren't terrible - at least they knew everybody's name, if not how to pronounce it, and they didn't digress into irrelevancies for extended periods of control by the Oilers like some Fox announcers will. Just homers almost to the point of idiocy a few times. I guess one could probably say the same about Rod Phillips, but it's been about 25 years since I heard him call a game.

Kirsten said...

and the Minny announcers are homers of Cole-Nealeian proportions.

Yep, until the other team starts winning, and then they don't shut up about how great the other team is and how much Minnesota sucks. I usually give up and mute them. Thank God the radio is synched with the TV here. Both of the TV guys are fucktards. Dan Terhaar, the play by play dude gets Wild players mixed up quite regularly.

MikeP said...

Kirsten, I guess us Oilers fans would never have to worry about that when watching Minny games. I was getting the Wild players mixed up myself, so I guess I wouldn't have noticed.

This may amuse you though... I'm sure it's well known in Oil country, perhaps less so in Minny. Cole or Neale, forget which, called Jason Smith "Ryan Smyth" when he was accepting the Western Conference trophy in the 06 playoffs. Kinda hard to tell the names apart on the jerseys when they're standing stock still at centre ice, I guess. :)

Kirsten said...

I can understand fans of other teams getting the players mixed up, but the freaking announcers of that team? That's not ok in my book.

I didn't see that, but I definitely heard about it from my Oilers fan friends. From listening to those two frequently, I have no problem believing that it happened. That's probably why they split them up...

Vince Gervais said...

This is way off topic, but does anyone remember Mathieu Garon, and all the sweet saves he used to make? What about that guy who was around in the Gretzky days, what was his name...uh..um..oh yeah, Andrew Cogliano. I'm not sure what it is with MacT, but he seems to give players time based on salary as opposed to performance. I'm pretty sure Garon should be starting, and if anyone is going to temp-place Hemsky it should be Cogliano. Additionally, Garon produces points 53% of the time while Rollie puts out a 39% production average. I love MacT, but I guess I just have to hate the sin, not the sinner. MacT is sucking out this year, and using this year’s team as a farm team, training experiment, or something.

Colby Cosh said...

I wouldn't give an out-of-town broadcaster too hard a time for simply accenting a name wrong. Rod Phillips himself doesn't make any audible distinction between Moreau and Morrow when we're playing Dallas, and don't get me started on Teemu Selanne.

Doogie said...

That's probably why they split them up...

I thought it was because Neale retired/was "retired", and is now working full-time on Buffalo 'casts.

Tyler said...

Am I missing something? I can't figure out why people would think that Cogliano has been good, other than the fact that he was drafted in the first round.

K said...

Is there any bar in Toronto that might have the Oilers PPV game on tonight??

I live in Northern Ontario, coming down to Toronto for a few days. Watching the PPV game tonight would be a treat but I'm afraid of being in Leafs Nation.