Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Bowl: an excellent excuse to eat cheezies

As a kid I would literally writhe with excitement for the Super Bowl. Writhe.

I'm not even sure why, come to think of it. Aside from the 49ers coming back to win it in 1989 and the haunting Scott Norwood field goal miss for Buffalo in 1991, my formative years were marked with a decade-long string of Super Bowl blowouts and disappointments (the latter being the dominance of the hated Dallas Cowboys). It took me an embarrassingly long time to catch on to the idea of the Super Bowl was, um, overblown, but I think I was also suffering from a borderline autistic obsession with the NFL in the early nineties (the yearbooks, Front Page Sports Football on the PC fantasy pools, the NFL films productions, etc).

It lead to what was probably the most undistinguished and entirely appropriate career in youth football for a gawky runt with delusional aspirations to be a linebacker:

1 Season of Strathcona Minor League Football: 1 interception, innumerable missed tackles.

0 games as a Salisbury Composite Junior Sabre: Went to training camp, got demoted to DB, but never started the season because I lost interest. Something to do with staying up until 3:00 am on school nights trying to catch nudity on CBC, or failing that, watching taped episodes of In Living Colour and The Simpsons.

As with any Canadian living hundreds of miles away from a NFL city, I had my pick for a favourite team. To this day I think that anyone who claims to be himself a Dallas Cowboy fan is the mark of a cad, like someone who wears socks over their sweatpants cuffs. The Eagles and 49ers were similarly obvious. My team was the New Orleans Saints, an obscurist and contrarian pick within the lockered halls of my middle school. The Saints were a good but not great team that never ended up winning a playoff game, although they did field the most fearsome defence in the entire league. Pat Swilling, Vaughn Johnson, Sam Mills and Ricky Jackson (aka The Dome Patrol) may have been the best linebacking crew ever to play in the NFL. I still love them:



So yeah, rambling aside: I'll be watching the game tonight like I do every other year, but as you can guess, it will not be the same.

Prediction: New York Giants 27 New England Patriots 24

(Scott Norwood with the winning field goal)

27 comments:

Pleasure Motors said...

Was your nickname "Rudy"?

Also, I've held my tongue on BoA, but since this is bleeding over to our blog, I want to go on record as saying that I find football tedious and unwatchable, to the point where I would rather read blog posts about the sub-prime mortgage fallout in the US.

But, you know, have fun or something.

mike w said...

Pleasure Motors, eat my penis.

Andy Grabia said...

Also, I've held my tongue on BoA, but since this is bleeding over to our blog,

WTF? Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Did you stay up late the night Letterman had Norwood on the show to try the kick again, in studio.
Props to Norwood for owning it.

Rock Deputy said...

I agree with Pleasure Motors on this one. Including pre and post game shows, the Super Bowl runs (here) from 3pm to just after 11pm...

I would wager that there's less than an hour of actual football play nested in there. How can anyone get excited about that?

Pleasure Motors said...

WTF? Seriously.

What? You write about football occasionally, and I find it tedious. Write about whatever you want, though, it's just one man's opinion.

Pleasure Motors, eat my penis.

Looks like I'll be having a Super Sunday after all.

baroque said...

How can anyone get excited about that?

Beer and gambling, I suppose.

Jay said...

Looks like I'll be having a Super Sunday after all.

jokes.

I will never understand how people enjoy that sport - 3 hours of watching commercials and every once in a while a football play gets run. No accounting for taste, I guess.

Lord Bob said...

If I may turn this conversation off topic to "ice hockee" for a moment, Ryan Hollweg: gutless puke or most gutless puke? That board on Sergei Kostitsyn was ridiculous, and the fact that this is a guy who managed to get elbowed earlier by Alexei Kovalev doesn't increase my sympathy one whit.

Naturally, the Colin Campbell Wheel o' Justice will see fit to hand him a twenty-five cent fine and fifteen minutes of timeout.

mike w said...

May I dare to suggest that all of these anti-Super Bowl people are Negative Nellies?

Chris! said...

Wow, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? I can see why THIS is so popular!

mike w said...

I'll take Petty over Whitney Houston. Especially if he plays "Refugee" (this isn't being played at the Superdome is it?)

Eyeris said...

Wait, Gisele is drinking red wine at the game? How pretentious. Also, isn't this week the NY fashion week. Doesn't she have to er ... work or something?

Lord Bob said...

DIE PATRIOTS DIE

grease trap said...

Holy Shit.

HBomb said...

Fucking sweet.

Eat a dick Tom Brady. You're not, nor will ever be, Joe Montana. Montana never lost a Super Bowl.

So bloody sweet, and I'm not even a Giants fan.

mike w said...

Minus Scott Norwood and 10 points on each side AND I CALLED IT.

That game was won by linemen.

Chris! said...

Witchita linemen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcykofWTCgY

Anonymous said...

Good call by Mike.
Good tunes by Petty.
Sweet catch by Tyree.

And, as usual, no class from the hoodie.

19-NO

rickibear said...

TB: Is still the Greatest. Joe Mo is too soft to be at TB's level.

RiversQ said...

Wow, what are the chances that mike w is a Saints fan too? (They sent all four of those LBs to the Pro Bowl one year too.)

Of course I just came to the realization that I have spent the 90's and the new millenium as a fan of the Edmonton Oilers, New Orleans Saints and the Montreal Expos.

And I had a choice with the last two.

How fucking sad is that?

Andy Grabia said...

What a great fucking football game. It couldn't have been more perfect.

Oh, and the Eagles are my team, Winters. Watch yourself. I always loved that LB crew in NO, though. Not talked about enough, in my books.

Rock Deputy said...

Does the University of Phoenix have a NCAA team? I was hoping to catch a few games while I was there getting my certificate in Hotel Management.

heed said...

i'm a steelers fan. it also looks like the game lived up to the hype this year. deep fried cheese in large quantities hurts.

mike from ottawa said...

Well, that'll be all, then. When's the trade deadline again?

Colm in Belfast said...

Am I the only guy from Edmonton who stumbled upon a Packers game on channel six during my formative years, saw the green and goldish and thought: "Right then, they'll do."

Dennis said...

I was a Houston Oilers fan and I followed the team to Tenneesee. I grew up an Esks fan, cheered for Edm in the CFL because I cheered for them in the NHL.

I'm still a Titans fans so when it comes to SB's, I've got the 2000 one to deal with. So close and then they never got back there even though McNair always played his nuts off.

If we're talking old defensive guys we liked, for me it was Ray Childress, Sean Jones, Micheal Barrow and William Fuller.

And yes I have some bad Bills memories myself.

Finally, allow me to be the first one to own up to also watching CBC and waiting for nudity.