Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Last Huzzah

I remember in 2003, when the Oilers made the playoffs only to lose to Dallas for the thirteenth time in a row (the ubiquitous bench shot of Mike "game winner" Modano, always with his mouth open, was as much a era-defining image for me as anything between 1997-2003), Oilers fans were reduced to talking up Marc-Andre Bergeron in the post-series radio chatter after a highlight reel hit on Brendan Morrow.

Despite the 2003 Oilers having made the playoffs, those days were bleaker than what the team faces today. As far as hope-peddling goes, this roster is simply a better sell. Aside from Sam Gagner, the best Oilers rookie since Jason Arnott, there's five other young guys to be genuinely excited about. Best of all, a third of the Oilers roster (including Garon) is suddenly comprised of value contracts, with a few other nice defensive prospects down the pike (Petry, Chorney, Wild, Peckham). The team still gets their asses handed to them at even-strength, and the D just leaks goals the moment they lose possession in their own zone, but with a healthy roster and a couple of shrewd moves in the off season the Oilers will have at least have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs next year. It's an utter miracle. In the meantime, nothing would be nicer than keeping those listless, heartless Canucks out of the playoffs for the second time in three years. And I'm sure Roberto Luongo could use the family time.

For the last time in a while: GOIL.

14 comments:

Loxy said...

GOIL.

Scarlett said...

Go Oilers....beat the Canuckleheads and Lose-ongo!!!

andy grabia said...

Nashville wins.

Reasoner from Pisani. 1-0. Oh, man.

Kyle said...

We'll meet you on the links Canucks!
How nice was it to see Roli back to his old form again. Nice way to end the season. The only way that game could have been any better is if Burrows got run physically through the end boards.
I loved hearing the worst "fans" in the NHL give their one man team the boo birds. Way to stick with it.

garnet said...

We win. Fun fact: I get home for the last few seconds and, oddly, Sportsnet Ontario lets me see the end of the game, normally blacked out. So they won't let me watch the Oil's stretch run, but they will let me see them play spoiler. How peevish are the people who make these calls?

andy grabia said...

It was on tv, Garnet? Damn. I listened on the radio, and then someone sent me an online feed.

Anyhooo, GOILERS!!!


Mike, I believe this demands an Al Jaffee-esque fold in.

wildchild said...

Calgary Herald

An article that should bring a smile to Oilers fans' faces.

Doogie said...

So is it wrong of me if I spend the entire weekend dancing on the grave of the Vancouver Canucks, and bathing and revelling in the salty tears of their fans?

LittleFury said...

I don't know. I was pretty chuffed, as the Limeys say, when the Oilers put the nail in the 'nucks coffin, but I don't care enough about the Orcas to spend more than a few seconds giggling about it. Plus, we have to get ready to cheer for Calgary to lose. Not that they need our help for that.

PunjabiOil said...

I don't really hate Vancouver. More indifferent. Of course I cheer against them, but the passionate hate isn't there.

Calgary has that reserved.

I'm hoping Vancouver has some testerone left, such that they will put an effort and ensure the Flames finish 7th. I don't like their chances against San Jose, but Minnesota is bordering on a coin-flip.

Get it done!

Lord Bob said...

As a native of Victoria, British Columbia, the victory over Vancouver was the finest moment in the history of the Edmonton Oilers.

I drink your sorrow, Canucks fans, and it nourishes me.

garnet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T.C. Shaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T.C. Shaw said...

I'm still flummoxed over the notion of assigning "errrors" (see the highly ironic Edmonton Journal's 'The Cult of Hockey' typo here http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/blogs/hockey/archive/2007/12/19/a-new-statistic-for-understanding-the-nhl-game-the-error.aspx). Firstly, the word, in verb form, at least, is "errs"--any crossword buff knows that one--and secondly... in baseball, where the players are essentially 'pinned down' into their respective positions, the ball can really only go to one player at a time; he either makes the play or... 'errs'. Am I right?
Hockey is so much more infinitely intangible than that, it's... it's ridiculous to even try to assign "errors", practically impossible, even, except maybe for glaringly obvious examples, such as, say, Steve Smith's infamous 'own goal' in the Battle of Alberta during the 1986 Stanley Cup playoffs.
And even there, does Grant Fuhr "share" that error? See what I mean?