Saturday, September 20, 2008

This and that "from" training camp

New Oilers' blogger "Bruce," as what I assume he looks like...

I'm bummed to hear that Jes Golbez has decided to hang up the keyboard and retire from blogging. Although it's hard to imagine in today's crowded blogworld of mega-dollars and sex groupies, Hockey Rants was one of only a handful of decent, pre-lockout blogs about the NHL. Now of course there's a million great blogs, but Jes' site has always been one of my first visits of the day and an influence for CinO. Plus I'm going to miss all of the esoteric Czech and Slovak hockey news.

And speaking of web logs, a warm welcome to long-time blog commentator Bruce and his site
Oil Droppings, the latest in an ever-growing collection of Oilers blogs (2,587 and counting...). His page is already a good read and a welcome addition to the blogroll. He just better be sure to keep it updated ... or else.

And training camp begins! If there's ever a time I wish I was back in Edmonton, it's the four weeks of Fall in Northern Alberta known as "September," when the air is crisp, training camp is in full swing and hockey is right around the corner. I suppose if I really wanted, I could immediately quit my job and live with my parents in Sherwood Park, spending my unemployed days watching Oilers' camp at Rexall with a rum-injected 7/11 coffee, but the lifestyle would almost certainly trigger a soul-crushing depression that I should try to avoid (although I did once emerge unscathed from an equally unproductive year pretty much only playing Golden Tee at the Black Dog while wearing the same Motorhead shirt every single day). Nevertheless, I wish I was there now.

Below is the updated projected lineup for the Oilers, at least according to the Journal and Jason Gregor. The big move has Fernando Pisani playing centre, which seems like a reasonable experiment as long as he can win half of his draws. Although Dustin Penner has knocked off a grand total of 8 lbs over the summer, he may be a better option on the wing where he doesn't have to cover as much ice. Of course, this lineup will likely last no longer than the opening 5 minutes of the first exhibition game.

Cole - Horcoff - Hemsky
Nilsson - Cogliano - Gagner
Moreau - Pisani - Penner
Pouliot - Brodziak - Stortini

Souray - Staios
Gilbert - Grebeshkov
Smid - Visnovsky

5 comments:

Lord Bob said...

Is it even possible to be unemployed in northern Alberta anymore? I thought Special Ed Stelmach had the Productivity Police rounding up anybody in a Motorhead t-shirt and forcing them to work at Canadian Tire for $80 an hour.

Chris! said...

I miss that Motorhead T-shirt.

And kicking your ass at Golden Tee Fore.

Bruce said...

Hey, MikeW, thanks for the words of welcome, and the link. The pic, not so much.

(Although I have to admit, it made me laugh out loud.)

But for those who like to poke fun at my supposedly effeminate name, have I got a few names for you from the land of the silver screen:

1) Bruce Lee
2) Bruce Willis
3) Bruce Wayne
4) Bruce Banner
5) Bruce Almighty

Doogie2K said...

Don't forget Robert the Bruce.

Colby Cosh said...

I could immediately quit my job and live with my parents in Sherwood Park, spending my unemployed days watching Oilers' camp at Rexall with a rum-injected 7/11 coffee, but the lifestyle would almost certainly trigger a soul-crushing depression that I should try to avoid

That actually sounds pretty good to me. Do your parents have room for a boarder?